ReadWest, Inc. (RW) seeks dedicated business and community leaders to help accomplish its mission: provide quality one-to-one tutoring to adults in Bernalillo and Sandoval counties seeking to transform their lives through enhanced literacy skills.
Purpose of Board Membership:
- To act as a voting member to develop policies for the operation of ReadWest, Inc.
- To monitor the organization’s financial health, programs and overall performance
- To provide the Executive Director with the resources needed to serve the organization’s constituencies
The Full Board’s Responsibilities:
- Develop policies
- Hire and evaluate the Executive Director
- Secure adequate funding for ReadWest
- Monitor finances
- Create and update a long-range plan for the organization
- Select and support the organization’s Board officers
- Adopt key operating policies; approve contracts as appropriate
Individual Board Member’s Responsibilities:
- Attend Board meetings regularly
- Attend Board education opportunities
- Become knowledgeable about ReadWest, Inc.
- Come to Board meetings prepared and informed about agenda issues
- Contribute to meetings by expressing a point of view
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Board make decisions that benefit RW’s constituencies
- Serve on at least one committee
- Represent RW to individuals, the public and other organizations in a positive and professional manner
- Support RW through attendance of special events and activities
- Work with RW staff to identify revenue sources
- Assume Board leadership roles when asked
- Keep the Executive Director informed of relevant community concerns
- Maintain the confidentiality of Board discussions
- Serve a 2 year term
- Suggested donation of $300 – $1,000 annually
Rationale: Board members set policies and goals, and delegate authority to the Executive Director to implement them in the day-to-day management of ReadWest. Individual Board members, however, have no authority to act independently of the full Board on policy issues. Board members who abuse their position in this way may be disciplined or censured.
Board members are also trustees of ReadWest, Inc. and approve an annual budget that ensures it can meet its financial needs. In addition, Board members monitor RW’s overall financial health by reviewing annual reports of an auditor recommended by the Executive Director. The Executive Director maintains responsibility for day-to-day operational expenses.
Individual Board members should attend and actively participate in all Board meetings, and should participate on a committee. Board members have the responsibility to know and fulfill their role in the organization and to act in the best interests of its constituencies.
Please note that an invitation to apply or an application submitted is not a guarantee of acceptance to the board. ReadWest strives to ensure that board membership is a good fit for both the Board of Directors and the board member candidate.